Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Natural isotonic drink from Mt. Makiling
After more than an hour of walking to Mt. Makiling, I had a good refreshing short rest while sipping buko (coconut) juice.
The manang vendor told me, "I got curious myself why students go to the top of Mt. Makiling. So I decided to hike, together with my my amigas of course." Amigas refer to other buko vendors.
"AY! There were lots of limatiks (local blood sucker insects. And no, I'm not referring to the politicians). I shrieked and cried while removing them off my skin."
"When I finally reached the top, my body's all bruised up. Climbing up that mountain is hell. I went home and promised not to up that Peak 2 again."
I didn't take her story seriously. I should have known that it's foreshadowing what will happen to me. I was busy sipping my third buko juice.
--------------
I just found out that Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid. During World War II many wounded soldiers were saved in the Pacific because of emergency transfusion using coconut water as plasma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment