Sunday, January 29, 2012
I'm a proud "street" child
Unlike the children I'm working with in my current preschool, I didn't have the luxury to play in private playhouses. No expensive Little Tikes equipments. I only have the streets. And the kids in the neighborhood. Along with dirt, bacterias and talisay, aratiles and acacia trees.
I grew up climbing balete trees, playing with water along canals, got bitten by dogs who do not have anti-rabies vaccination, chased tricycles on highways and somehow manage to survive until now.
When I was a kid, I have secretly eaten street foods like fish balls, meat balls (which are really nothing but flour and egg), squid balls and kikiam. I hid from my parents when I eat them because they think I will die from eating "dirty" food. She caught me several times and tried fixing the addiction from these food by purchasing and cooking them by herself so that she can be sure that food handling is up to her sanitary standard. But it was really no fun eating street food cooked at home. She didn't know these food needs to be eaten with bamboo sticks and not fork. And the sauce should have the right blend of sauce sauce, sugar and vinegar.
I am just thankful to God that He put me in a family who lives in a rural area, who do not have much wealth. I thank God for our socio-economic status that allowed me to experience climbing trees, getting wounds and scratches from rowdy play along public parks, eating fish balls and playing with children my parents do know a lot. In a way, I have become healthier (not getting sick and prone to communicable diseases), wiser and better attuned with realities than others. And yes, I praise God for allowing me to enjoy the exquisite art of eating street food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment