One of the clients I had ,let's call him Jay*, didn't finish the diversion program his family court has given him. He never reported back to the rehabilitation center where he was placed, both by us and the court. He was supposed to finish the 6 month program in the rehab center. On his 30th day, he escaped. Tumakas, ika nga. Because of that, a warrant of arrest will be soon issued to Jay. And some minors that we have in the detention center learned about it.These minors knew that I helped in fast facilitation of diversion program of the minor. A rather defiant minor approached me and said, "Sir, were you not ashamed that the one you helped is not worthy of the help you gave? Tumakas siya. Hindi ba daw ako nahihiya sa ginawa ko?
I was shocked by the sudden and amusing question. It was really interesting. Why would I be ashamed in the first place? Did I do something wrong? From the last time I check, I wasn't the one who disobeyed the court order regarding the diversion program. I was ready to be defensive but the curious side of me made me stay quiet for a few seconds. Then, instead of explaining myself, I probe further where his question was coming from.
I learned then that his case was not moving at all. His court hearing has been reset thrice already. And that's about five months waiting in the detention center without any advancement in his court case. Frustrated, he was angry at me for helping Jay who didn't value the diversion program granted to him.
It dawned to me that should I've been offended right away to his rather offensive question, I wouldn't be able to know where his question was coming from. I admit that I felt to be personally attacked with his way of expressing frustration about his case. And I was really hurt.
If I encountered that same questioning five years ago, I would have filed a complaint in the detention center's disciplinary board for disrespecting a person in authority. And I would see to it that he is given a sanction, where which I will be thinking that will modify his behavior.
I remember the concept of PIE concept in social work, the person in environment system for understanding the client being helped. And how the context of the client should always be understood. I remember post-modernism and the narrative and meta-narrative, of meanings and symbols. Most of all, I remember love and grace, of the God I believe in, of the God who accepts me and understands me for who I am.
These are concepts. Of theories and systems. And even world views. These affects how I operate and how I provide the social services that I can give. Of how I live my life and how I interact with people and the world --whether in detention center or not. These are very powerful stuff that can be frightening but also life giving if lived out properly.
After much pondering on theories and concepts, after also hearing from the minor who posted an amusing question, I told him that in the role that I played in helping Jay, I, together with the judge and another social worker, just gave him another chance to live a life that is better than what he used to live. The diversion program was supposed to be (1) a door opener for Jay to dismiss the case filed against him and (2) an opportunity where he can practice responsibility, freedom and increase his self-worth. I told him that I was sorry that Jay wasted that chance. But if I have the chance to give him another chance, I will give Jay another one because I believe in him. Until Jay believes in himself that he can be better.
*Not his real name.

No comments:
Post a Comment