Saturday, March 31, 2012

Agos ng buhay

This is the visual representations of the lives the children in conflict with the law I'm helping out. The activity is called River of Life.

What they do is draw a river which represents their own time line. They will be giving unique characteristics of the river at different stages of their lives.

This technique in drawing allows me to initially see how children perceive their lives. Mapping of several significant life events (separation of parents, death of a love one, dropping out of school, a sister getting married, getting honors in school) can be distinctly identified.


I find this activity non-threatening to children as compared to the traditional interview. I do this during the first few meetings with the children. This also facilitates self-awareness with the children. They can see the events that molded their beliefs and their behavior towards certain situations.


UPDATE: I have been granted to extend my studies/ research/ fieldwork in the youth detention center in Quezon City. My goal for the next two months is to implement the therapeutic community modality model I'm refurnishing. It will be a hybrid of that and some other theories on social work administration, clinical practice as well as counseling. I'm a bit nervous but excited as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment