Monday, November 13, 2017

Letting go of another person's throat

This is an excerpt from my currently liked author, William Paul Young of the awesomely written novel, The Shack.
Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat... Forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established... Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation... Forgiveness does not excuse anything... You may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely. And then one day you will pray for his wholeness...

This came to mind after reading the post of Citybouy regarding his option to forgive and release a person who did/ continuously doing him harm.

For the past few weeks, I have been thinking about traveling light in life. It seems that as I get older, relationships, roles and responsibilities and rules on human interactions become more and more complicated.

When I am hurt, I easily attack back. And I don't like myself when I am angry.

So for the past two weeks, I have been trying to figure out how I can live mindfully at the present and release myself from unnecessary burdens. And what William Paul Young wrote made a lot of sense.

I admire Citybouy on how he can choose to forgive even if the person keeps on spreading lies to him. It takes a lot of maturity for a person to forgive while being attacked.

Following Citybouy's example, I choose to release these people that I had wished die sometime ago. Hurts leave wounds. Wounds harm us. But scars, do not. They are just reminder that people sometime ago has hurt us. But we manage to move on. Releasing and forgiving them will hopefully turn my nurtured wounds to scars.

-------------------------
On a lighter note, mga kaibigan, tara inom tayo at sa huling pagkakataon, i-trash talk natin 'yang mga hayop na yan. Hahaha.


--------------------------
This abstract neutral canvas wrap print is based on an original abstract painting by artist Kathleen Patrick entitled "Traces of Time".  Get it in Chicago Skyline Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment